Sunday, June 24, 2012

my personal geography


"A map provides no answers. It only suggests where to look, Discover this, re-examine that, put one thing in relation to another, orient yourself, begin here … Sometimes a map speaks in terms of physical geography, but just as often it muses on the jagged terrain of the heart, the distant vistas of memory, or the fantastic landscapes of dreams." (Miles Harvey, The Island of Lost Maps)


I read this very inspiring book titled "Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media Mapmaking" by Jill K. Berry. I have always been fascinated by maps so this book caught my attention. It was a worthy purchase.


One of my favorite lines is: In my hands, I hold a ship, for sailing off to great adventures, and a compass rose, so I won't get lost.

One of the first exercises is making a head map and I was inspired by this particular map that was shown in the book.


Here is mine, which deals with my own current subjects of concern and much thought. The interesting part is the fact that as I was putting this together, some things that I have been having difficulty resolving in my head slowly started to make better sense. I did not come to any sudden solutions but certainly the possibilities for solutions became clearer.


I look forward to making more maps and finding more paths!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea what the title meant, but it definitely makes more sense now. That map from the book is pretty incredible, I wish my brain thought of ideas like that. Great interpretation of it as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chrystina! That book has been making me almost jittery with excitement because I want to do at least a dozen maps from it! At least it would supply me with ideas for the next couple of weeks since I have made a promise to myself to make art every day in whatever form. I am such a late bloomer that I am only coming to terms with some things at this point in my life. You, on the other hand, are a lucky woman for knowing what delights you so early in life :)

      Delete