Tuesday, June 5, 2012

digital photography workshop

I took one last May 27. It was a whole-day class and I took it for the following reasons:

- I wanted to make the most of my DSLR.
- I wanted to know what kind of lens I need to make the shots I want.
- I wanted to have more confidence taking photos and composing my shots.
- I have tried reading a number of beginner's photography books but I simply could not get past the technical stuff. I was hoping an actual person explaining it in local layman's terms will be easier for me.
- I wanted to meet new people.

I am happy to say that all of the above were met and fulfilled. It was a very simple workshop and really designed for beginners. What I loved most about it though was how the technical stuff was discussed and demonstrated -- I finally get the whole shutter and aperture and ISO thing. I also appreciated the way that we were made to work with our own camera and that every feature and button was discussed and explained. It was very practical. When I got home I was able to put most of what I learned to practice.

I also now know that I want a 50mm f1.8 lens. It will cost me about Php5,000 so I need to save up for it.

Meanwhile let me share some shots from the workshop. The last couple of hours were spent shooting models who were came specifically to pose for us.

There I am, the only girl with glasses :) 

While it was fun to have subjects willing to be shot, I find that I prefer to capture them when they are in a more natural state. So I try to catch them in-between poses and before they realize that I am aiming the camera at them.


The workshop also inspired me to really get my photo editing and management system in place because with the volume of photos I would be taking, I could not afford to waste disk space and time trying to find the ones I want.

I also realized that I have not been doing as badly as I thought when it comes to photography. :)

What have you been learning about lately?

1 comment:

  1. This looks like so much fun! Also I love the natural shots, great work so far :) I wonder if they have a class like that here in Philadelphia...

    ReplyDelete